The theme of the 2008 Conference was “Going Green”. Participants at the conference stressed the need for EA practitioners to encourage behavioural change to bring about improvements in the quality of our lives.
They also discussed a range of tools to improve EA, including:
- Introduce more class screenings for more categories of projects.
- Make sure SEA is more iterative within the process of planning a policy, plan or programme, and ensure that it better informs project planning.
- Give the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (CEAA) more power to ensure that departments do perform their SEAs and EAs properly.
- Give more attention to getting the affected public involved at the right stages of a project’s or indeed a policy’s development.
- Make more use of the comprehensiveness of life cycle analysis for improving product development.
- Make more use of RBM to keep one focused on the big picture purpose and precisely what has to be achieved to realize it.
2008 Conference Summary Report
To view further conference and session information please view/download the official 2008 Summary Report.